Today we will address how to use up leftover veggies. Whether boiled, roasted, or just sliced and diced, there are always leftover veggies. We will call on a favorite, fast, and easy dish from Thailand and Vietnam to turn those veggies into appetizing packages. Summer Rolls are delicious, filling, and refreshing – and they’re really fun to make and eat.
Summer Rolls with Pomegranate Dipping Sauce
Rice Wraps – 8-12
Leftover Veggies – 2 cups – carrots, celery, etc.
Cilantro – 1 handful of leaves
Mint – 1 handful of leaves (optional)
Vinegar – rice wine or apple cider – ¼ cup
Salt – to taste
Neutral Oil – ½ cup
Sesame Oil – 1 tsp. (optional)
Pomegranate Dipping Sauce – recipe follows
- Chop or shred veggies into small pieces.
- Make a light dressing with the vinegar, salt, and oils. Toss veggies with a minimal about of dressing.
- Fill a shallow bowl or baking dish with water.
- Pass rice wrap through water to make it pliable.
- Lay it flat and fill bottom third with veggie mix. Add a few cilantro leaves and some mint if you are using it.
- Roll like a burrito. Roll up from the bottom to cover mixture. Fold in the sides and continue to roll.
- Cut in half diagonally. Serve with pomegranate dipping sauce.
Pomegranate Dipping Sauce
Pomegranate Juice – 1 cup
Tamari (gluten free soy sauce) – 1 tbs.
Brown Sugar – 1 tsp.
Fresh Ginger – 1 tsp. grated
Garlic – 1 clove grated
Scallions – 2-3 thinly sliced.
Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Simmer all ingredients in a small pan until combined and slightly thickened. Allow to cool. Garnish with scallions.
- Serve with summer rolls.